Thanks to all who applied for our farm assistant position - we have found somebody to work with us this summer. If the group of candidates that applied are any indication, the future of ecological agriculture is very bright indeed!
We are looking for somebody who is honest, committed and reliable, a dedicated worker, a keen observer, willing to learn new skills, and interested in organic agriculture to come and work with us this summer! Previous experience working on a farm is an asset, but not required.
About the position:
We require a commitment from May 15 – August 30 but will give preference to somebody who can continue to work until mid-October. Time off within this period is possible but must be negotiated to fit outside of key work periods. There will be a minimum of 8-12 hours per week that will be paid at the rate of $11.25 - $13.50 per hour depending on your skills and previous experience. Additional income will be created for the right person through profit-share and/or enterprise opportunities and/or trading labour for farm products (including meat, dairy, wool, eggs, garden produce/fruits, or livestock) for personal use or transformation & sale. Somebody who is self-motivated and hard-working can expect to generate a full-time income. We will provide full training for all of the tasks that we expect of you and can provide mentoring and off-farm learning opportunities for aspiring farmers.
Your main tasks will include:
· Grazing assistance (rotational grazing)
· Livestock care
· General farm maintenance including fence and outbuilding construction and repair
Depending on your interest and motivation we will also involve you in the following:
· Wool transformation, fibre arts workshops, fibre festivals
· Machinery maintenance/repair/operation
· Fence and farm outbuilding construction/repair
· Sheep care including lamb care, hoof trimming, boluses, ear tagging, shearing, etc.
· Family cow care including AI, milking & udder care, nutrition, grazing, and transforming dairy products
· Raising poultry from day-olds up to and including on-farm butcher for personal consumption
· Pigs feeder to finish, including pasturing and calculating rations
· Marketing and direct sales of farm products
· Vegetable cultivation, harvest, storage, and transformation (canning, etc)
About our Farm:
On our 40 acre certified organic farm we raise registered Icelandic sheep for their wool and meat, heritage breed turkeys and heritage breed pastured pork. We also keep a Jersey cow and her calves, a flock of laying hens, large vegetable gardens, and ample fruit for our own consumption with some excess for sale from time to time. This is a family-scale farm but we need extra help this summer as our family grows. Our farm is located in Cantley, QC, just a 20-minute drive from downtown Ottawa or 30 min from Wakefield, 5 km from a bus stop and attached to an amazing network of cross-country ski/hiking trails. On-farm accommodation in a cabin or camper/trailer is a possibility, as is ride-sharing into Ottawa for those who would like to combine this opportunity with other work in town.
If this interests you, please get in touch. Let us know about your previous relevant experiences including any experience you may have with: farming, livestock, machinery, construction, physical labour, outdoor labour. Let us know what in particular interests you about this position and what you’d like to get out of it.